Interested in working with the SCGC to prevent placing a Mega Gas Station so near to residents of Kensington Heights and children playing at Kenmont Swim Club or attending Stephen Knolls School? Concerned about the wider implications of approving the placing of such facilities in close proximity such "sensitive land uses" elsewhere? Here are some actions you can take:
See the JOIN, DONATE, MEMBERS page for access to our sign-up form. Submitting the JOIN THE COALITION form is the single most important action you can take to build the coalition: a growing membership list (we update it each time a JOIN submission is received), including people from many areas in MoCo (and elsewhere), is key to demonstrating that many people who do not live in Kensington Heights agree with the position that KHCA and SCGC have taken in opposing Costco's planned mega gas station. The page with the JOIN form also has sections that enable you to make a contribution to help defray our expenses, to contact members of the Coordinating Committee, and/or to view a listing of our members.
- This issue is attracting considerable media attention (see the BACKGROUND page). Check out one or more of those articles and, wherever possible, post a comment expressing your support for our position.
- Talk to friends and neighbors; use our Talking Points (click here) to answer questions. Urge your civic association (or other activist group) to join the SCGC.
- Become involved in the crucial Special Exception Process (see the BACKGROUND page); consider testifying against the proposed placement of the gas station and becoming a Party of Record. As of 16 November 2012, Costco has filed a new Special Exception application. It has been assigned the number S-2863; a form to request becoming a Party of Record is available here.
- Up until January 15, 2013 you can send a letter directly to Planning Commission staff. See our RECENT UPDATE of January 9 for details.
- Send a letter or Email to the County Executive, members of the County Council, and/or to the corporate leadership of Costco and the Westfield Corporation. If you don't have time to prepare a detailed Email, you can use one of the 'pre-loaded' ones we have made available in the last section of this page.
SIGN A PETITION
Our Change.org petition asks County Government, Costco, and Westfield to find a better location for the proposed mega gas station. To see/sign it, click here.
SEND AN EMAIL
Below are a number of options for sending an Email message to some individual or group that may be able to influence the decision to build - or not build - the Costco mega gas station proposed for Westield Wheaton Plaza. Each choice below allows you, with a single click, to open your Email program and have a prepared Email ready to go. Simply add your name at the end and send the pre-loaded message.